Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Brands

What are companies thinking?

It seems I hear the same thing day after day. That brands want to capture data, and get people to share their brand virally and socially.

But the key component I am seeing missing more and more is, why? What is in it for the consumer?

But the answer I seem to hear from brands is, people should do it because the brand wants them to.

You want me to follow you on twitter, like you on facebook. Sure those actions are as easy as clicking a button, but not clicking it is even easier for me.

So start thinking of what you can do for the consumer in trade for them providing you with data, passing your message on to others.

If you the brand are getting something for free, then so should I.

Thoughts?
Have you been experiencing the same thing?
Do you know some examples of brands doing it well?

2 comments:

DoeHands said...

YUP! I'll think of some that I have seen that are lame and others that are done well or at least show you something cool in exchange for agreeing to look at their ads etc, I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

barney said...

I think that there is a place in our digital world for expressing desires and preferences.

I also thing that this has been extremely exploited to a point that those expressed desires and preferences no longer hold any value what so ever. I could not care less about approval of something, anything if there is not stated reason why. And I think that this is the crux of the issue, the "who", "what", "where" and "when" are so in-your-face, the "why" is either overlooked and/or ignored and in unfavorable instances is spun (put a different spin upon) hidden or distracted from.

If companies provide a product or service that serves me well, not simply adequate or satisfactory but in a truly good manner then and only then will I broadcast my approval.

 
medatation