Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cool QOTSA News

This news is timed quite well, because I have been thinking lately about what is it in music that makes you love a song/band/album?

I don't know if it is the same for other people but there are bands that the first second I hear them, I know I love their music. But the why is undefinable. QOTSA was one of those bands for me. From the first bits of Rated R, I knew I would buy everything this band does or has ever done.

And it's that sort of feeling that makes music so personal, and brings out the strong feelings when someone dislikes what you like.

You discover a song, you listen to it over and over. You then play it for friends or family and they just kinda go, meh. It's cool. But they don't share your passion, your visceral connection to the song. And you wonder why they don't hear what you hear.

But then at the same time there is music that has to grow on you. As I type this I am listening to a band that took a long time to grow on me, Joy Division. They were lauded as amazing. I didn't hear it. I gave it a chance and it didn't click for me. But then I would revisit it, but it still was not there. But not that long ago, I finally grew to like them. It still doesn't have that strong desire to listen to it, as so many other things, but it is now in my appreciation list.

So do you know you love a band from first listen? Or does it always take a little longer before you know? How does it work for a far more casual music listener?

No comments:

 
medatation