Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Movie Reviews

We watched a couple of documentaries the past few days.
Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay and Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

I love Big Star and think Ricky Jay is awesome. So both movies were about subject matter I was very interested in. Both movies entertained me, showed me things I didn't know but left me lacking.

I think the one on Ricky Jay was better than the Big Star one. It was more focused. Which lack of focus was my biggest complaint about the Big Star movie. In it's close to 2 hour run time, it told a lot of stuff, but rarely enough details. It told you enough to ask more questions, but left out the answers you wanted.

And I was shocked by the seeming lack of photos and footage of the band and it's members.

With the Ricky Jay movie, it teased with early facts about him, but then focused on his mentors. Which don't get me wrong are very interesting, but I really would've like to know even more about the movies centerpiece.

Both are worth watching if you like the subject matter.

No comments:

 
medatation