Monday, September 15, 2014

Riot Fest

So I was debating going since the line-up had ben announced.

The week before I finally decided I would go. My wonderful brother in law was able to put me on the list for Saturday, and I bought a 1 day ticket for Sunday.

I tried to see if anyone wanted to go with me. No one did. So I was going by myself.

My main reason for wanting to go was to see Hot Snakes on Sunday.

I left my house at 6am Saturday morning.

Got to Chicago and stopped at a Holiday Inn. Got a room, they let me check in before 11, even though check in is not till 4. Score!

I arranged for a ride with Uber. Riot fest sent out a code to get a free ride. My driver was a super nice guy from Peru.

The park was a giant mud pit from the rain on Friday night.

The bands I saw Saturday were:
Samiam
7 Seconds
Buzzcocks
Die Antwoord
The Afghan Whigs
Paul Weller
Wu-Tang Clan
Metric
The Flaming Lips
Descendents

I had seen all but 4 of those bands before. All were very good. As I was getting ready to go, I pulled out my phone to set up a ride with Uber back to the hotel.

Phone was 100% dead.

I hopped in a cab.

The address for the hotel was in my phone. I knew it was off of 290 on a street that began with "M". The cab driver let me use his phone and I found it.

Sunday I drove to the park where the show was at 11am.

The weather was beautiful and the mud was dryer.

The bands I saw Sunday were:
Menzingers
Chumped
The Mutts
The front bottoms
Whigs
The Hold Steady
Andrew W.K.
Superchunk
Naked Raygun
Lucero
Hot Snakes
Mudhoney

Hot Snakes was easily one of the best live bands I have ever seen. They were well worth the cost of the entire trip.

I hit the road about 720pm. Got home a little before midnight.

Fell asleep pretty much as soon as I walked in the door.

Going by myself was awesome. No debate of what bands to watch. I could do whatever I wanted. And it was back to back bands so there was little room to chat anyway.

And the drive I was able to blare music and just drive.

It was a crazy 42 hours. It feels more like I've been gone a week.


No comments:

 
medatation