Saturday, November 15, 2008

Facebook

I know it's been around quite awhile now, but it's seem to hit a huge spike among adults now. I hate all the applications and poking and that shit of facebook. But it has helped me reconnect with a few friends that live away from the city I am in.

I also do like the constant connectedness one can have with so many people. From the simple status updates, to mass conversations via comments.

While online communities can never replace truly hanging out with someone, they do help stay connected to people you may otherwise not see or do things with as much.

I do wonder if the flooding of older people now on it mean that it's death is on the horizon and the next thing will be popping up soon.

2 comments:

DoeHands said...

I heard someone actually say "facebook is like myspace for adults"

this is totally silly of course because a few years ago, you could only sign up with a college email address, and beyond that, only if your school "had" facebook, which mine didn't for my first two years of college. Then I got it, found all these people I went to like, elementary school with, and although people use facebook all the time, the most interaction I have with the site is accepting friend requests via text message alerts, and am kind of wondering why I don't minimize my profile at this point, because now that it's more of a public site and more strangers can view my profile, I kind of want to take down a lot of stuff...

there was a Dr Phil (embarassing, i know, but it was on and i got hooked in) on how facebook profiles can totally disqualify you from getting jobs...their examples were really far fetched [aka one girl advocating taking pictures of your friends passed out and hugging porcelain and another girl advocating prudish professionalism and a headhunter saying that if he saw "Interests: taking bong rips with my boys" on an applicant/candidate's fb page, he'd immediately disqualify...duh] and I didn't start thinking about this again until I started seeing like, people's parents that I know or adults that might not understand something that I think is a joke on my profile having profiles of their own in the same network...it just makes me more nervous of the site in general.


I don't think it's going away any time soon, but I definitely had a co intern that I heard about a second forgotten facebook account of hers that was discovered via search engine that totally has a picture of her boobs...key word being that she forgot she had this account and forgot to delete it...yeah, I don't know how to end this comfortably, but astute observation in trends, jeff.

DoeHands said...

ps- speaking of this whole internet search engine networking site wide world thing...I've been curious if your teenager or any of his friends have ever come across your blog, or have you ever thought about that?

 
medatation